OT-Innovations.com Main Page
Using Art

OT-Innovations Forum Index » General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dsabados
Forum Newbie

PostPosted    Post subject Reply with quoteFind all posts by dsabados

I'm an art therapist and have been involved with the reduction of seclusion and restraint for an adolescent facility. We've utilized some of the general sensory approaches/ideas and a trauma informed approach learned from the folks at NASMHPD/NTAC. I wanted to know if anyone knows of any literature or resources that are specific to how art can be used/adapted/incorporated into sensory modulation programs.

Thanks in advance for any direction/resources/ideas!
Tina Champagne
Site Admin

PostPosted    Post subject Reply with quoteFind all posts by Tina Champagne

Hi
I have an email into the art therapist I work with to see if he has any insights as a fellow art therapist. Smile

If not I will respond with some of my thoughts on the topic from my perspective as an OT.

Thanks for posting this question - it is a really good one!
Tina
brubg
Forum Newbie

PostPosted    Post subject Reply with quoteFind all posts by brubg

Diana,

Thanks for your question. I work with Tina as a psychiatric counselor and art therapist. My work is primarily with adults so I cannot speak to the art therapy/sensory integration connection with kids/adolescents as deeply as you perhaps could benefit. However, the AATA web site (http://www.arttherapy.org) led me to a couple of articles you may find helpful:

Kearns, D. (2004). Art therapy with a child experiencing sensory integration difficulty. Art Therapy: Journal of the American Art Therapy Association,
21(2), 95-101.

Art Therapy and the Brain: An Attempt to Understand the
Underlying Processes of Art Expression in Therapy
Vija B. Lusebrink, Palo Alto, CA Art Therapy: Journal of the American Art Therapy Association, 21(3) pp. 125-135 © AATA, Inc. 2004

Art Therapy for Combat-Related PTSD:
Recommendations for Research and Practice
Kate Collie, Stanford, CA, Amy Backos, San Francisco, CA, Cathy Malchiodi, Louisville, KY, and David Spiegel, Stanford, CA
Art Therapy: Journal of the American Art Therapy Association, 23(4) pp. 157-164 © AATA, Inc. 2006

Since working with Tina and her OT colleagues, I have become more mindful of alot of the connections between the 2 disciplines. Some of these include:

The ways art therapist's are versed in the effective applications of specific medium to best approach certain treatment objectives as well as specific needs inherent in the therapeutic process.

I would also recommend looking into Paolo Knills work with intermodal expressive arts therapies. You could probably google his name.

Keep posting additional inquires and experiences and I would be happy to continue the dialogue.

Bruce Bradley-Gilbert, MA, ATR, LMHC
Northampton, MA
   OT-Innovations Forum Index » General Discussion Page 1 of 1

Jump to: