OT-Innovations.com Main Page
Tina Champagne at the Texas Forensic Conference

OT-Innovations Forum Index » General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Drexler
Forum Newbie

PostPosted    Post subject Reply with quoteFind all posts by Philip Drexler

I spoke with Tina Champagne at the Texas Forensic Conference last week. She suggested that I join the forum and describe the situation at the psych hospital at which I work.
Just over a year ago the Adjunctive Therapies Department started offering on-ward programming for the first time in fifteen years. This programming consists of 15 minute sessions facilitated by a therapist and two rehab techs. We are not allow to do session in the dayroom. We can only work with the patients on the roster, which is generally far less than the patients needing services (that is an administrative issue I have yet to untangle). Patients who are severely undermotivated have to agree to get up from the dayroom and walk to an on-ward classroom.
Given these conditions, where do I start? What highly portable, visually attractive sensory tools can I pitch to my director to use under these circumstances? And can I display them in such a way as to get the patients moving out of their chairs and into the classroom? Thanks, Philip.
Tina Champagne
Site Admin

PostPosted    Post subject Reply with quoteFind all posts by Tina Champagne

When you state "highly portable" the first thing that came to mind was a sensory cart and there are ways to provide this on a high and low budget. If you have lots of funding you might want to check out the BeSmart Cart (link is on my links page under therapeutic products). Otherwise you can create a cart with things that you think are going to be a big hit (with safety in mind of course) for your population. You could also try to survey patients and staff for what they think might be really good to have on the cart to help them to get involved (and therefore, interested). There are some ideas for sensory carts listed on this site on the sensory room page - for high and low cognitive ability levels.
Hope this helps a little bit,
Tina
Tina Champagne
Site Admin

PostPosted    Post subject Reply with quoteFind all posts by Tina Champagne

Forgot to mention - we created a cart that has some things literally bolted down onto it to help increase the safety factor.

Tina
   OT-Innovations Forum Index » General Discussion Page 1 of 1

Jump to: