OT-Innovations.com Main Page
Sensory rooms and PHP

OT-Innovations Forum Index » General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marisafpr
Forum Newbie

PostPosted    Post subject Reply with quoteFind all posts by marisafpr

I've been working at a PHP and would love to hear anyone's experience in these settings regarding sensory room set-up. I know the PHP population is a challenge as they have made community re-entry (or already have but need structure and monitoring). This seems to challenge me as an OTR/L, specially when thinking of the sensory room options for this population. Would the sensory room set-up for this population be that much more different than that of the acute's? I believe it would be, but have not found much literature on the PHP's sensory room set-up.
Tina Champagne
Site Admin

PostPosted    Post subject Reply with quoteFind all posts by Tina Champagne

Hello,
I believe the sensory room article by Donna Costa in OT Practice a few years ago was created in a PHP or outpatient setting, so that article might be useful to you. Also, the article I did for the Dec 2006 MH SIS on creating sensory rooms should help because it was meant to serve as a general guide for the clinical reasoning process when starting a sensory room and also emphasizes the importance of integrating staff & consumer feedback along the way - if not central involvement whenever possible.

Other important variables that will play a role is the type of programming you offer and the specific populations you serve (cultural considerations, etc.).

For example, if you are in a college town and your PHP offers a program that is strongly rooted in DBT & CBT that would be different from a PHP in an urban area that services people with all kinds of needs, cognitive abilities and varied service delivery models.

I am currently helping to create sensory rooms in a host of different settings. One of them is a community based work program for people with schizophrenia. I am going to start of with a general 20 min. in-service on the concept of sensory rooms. Put a poster on the subject in the break room and get ideas from the workers about what kinds of things they would like in the space since it is going to be created primarily for them (and staff too).

This space will be similar to the sensory modulation spaces I tend to co-create on acute inpt units, but it will be more specific to the requests and needs of this population, etc.

I recently created a visual model of different kinds of sensory rooms. It is in my new book and on my website under the sensory room page if you want to check that out. Just helps to categorize different kinds of sensory rooms.

Hope this helps!
Tina
marisafpr
Forum Newbie

PostPosted    Post subject Reply with quoteFind all posts by marisafpr

Thanks! That gives me a lot to look forward to. I love the idea of sensory room design taking into consideration the population and the cultural aspects of the different populations in question. Believe it or not at the PHP where I work there is no such thing as a sensory room (I've barely begun to work on this reading your book). Your book has been extremely useful in getting myself organized. At our PHP we have a very diverse population so this makes it all the more challenging. The fact that the population is so diverse has made explore and look into more appealing ideas. We are also on an extremely tight budget. Your book has been a life saver! There's currently a lot of "talk" therapy at our PHP and group discussion, a lot of verbal exercises and dynamics. So I'm really interested in making this sensory approach work.
   OT-Innovations Forum Index » General Discussion Page 1 of 1

Jump to: