OT-Innovations.com Main Page
Mental Health Parity

OT-Innovations Forum Index » General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tina Champagne
Site Admin

PostPosted    Post subject Reply with quoteFind all posts by Tina Champagne

Just a notice to let folks know that the Mental Health Parity Bill has been PASSED! This is fantastic news for mental health care!!

Tina Very Happy
zilam98
Forum Newbie

PostPosted    Post subject Reply with quoteFind all posts by zilam98

im new to the mental health field as our facility just acquired a locked down unit. what does this mean? are OT services in longterm mental health care now more reimbursable? i have heard some OTs saying that purely behavioral mgmt is not reimbursable in longterm mental healthcare
Tina Champagne
Site Admin

The MH Parity being passed is just one big step toward reimbursement issues in MH practice in general. There is a lot of work to be done in many areas before we will see any major changes in MH reimbursement. For example, one of the biggest barriers is that OTs are not seen as "qualitified MH practitioners" largely because of real barriers in our educational process compared to other professionals that get reimbursed for MH services (e.g., psychotherapy).

AOTA is doing a lot of work to try to make some big movements for MH in this and other areas. This happens to be an area I am also focused on with my committee as the MH SIS Chair.

If you are an AOTA member, there is a statement by Tim Nanoff, our government rep, on the MH parity issues.

I am hoping to talk a lot more about this both here and on the OT Connections site on the AOTA website. There is always strength in numbers.

Hope this helped,
Tina
zilam98
Forum Newbie

PostPosted    Post subject Reply with quoteFind all posts by zilam98

thanks for replying.

right now, i am having some residents on purely behavioral mgmt as they are suicidal cases, with one recently just attempted to kill himself in the facility with a coloring pencil. and both are medicaid residents. with the recent bundling system that medicaid has employed for nursing home residents, i am concerned that the facility would want us to cut medicaid residents from therapy since the facility is now completely paying for medicaid residents' services, particularly with just purely behavioral mgmts. i am also having a really difficult time with these residents as they may do well one day, then if they do get released to a less restrictive placement, they act out there. both residents want to be eventually released back to the community, though for one of them it may be close to impossible as even though he's still very young (only 22), he has a long history of crimes and juvenile delinquency. i am just very new to the mental health field, and the mental health area is a little studied/worked area with OT.
Tina Champagne
Site Admin

Across many different levels of care there are many barriers that are very much related to problems with funding and resource allocation. There are many different reasons why these payment and financial barriers exist. It is important not to become disheartened although I totally understand how difficult that can be, having my own "nationally recognized" program dismanteled at one point due to "budget cuts" and the fact that OTs and counselors are not part of the acute care staffing ratios required by DMH, therefore, the first to get cut when push comes to shove in these hard economic times. Currently, I am dealing with this issue on another level in my new position in a very large community-based MH organization. Outpatient OT services in MH are very complicated services to bill for, for example.

Hopefully, we can continue to use this forum and others, like the AOTA forums, to continue to identify and work on ways to work on these very complex barriers in OT in MH. This topic is one of the goal areas for the new MH SIS Committee, for which I am Chair. I hope to work with all AOTA members and other MH OTs through this and other forums to help to make progress.

Sincerely,
Tina
   OT-Innovations Forum Index » General Discussion Page 1 of 1

Jump to: