OT-Innovations.com Main Page
Seizure disorder and implementing sensory program -Question!

OT-Innovations Forum Index » General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robynb
Forum Newbie

PostPosted    Post subject Reply with quoteFind all posts by robynb

Hi,

I am an occupational therapist working with adults with developmental disabilities. I am creating a sensory program for one of my clients with a profound seizure disorder. The client appears to have sensory processing issues and could benefit from the implementation of a sensory program; however, I am wondering if certain items or movements are contraindicated in adults with seizure disorder?

The client's seizures can be triggered by many environmental stimuli, such as loud noises and strong odours. The client appears to have a high threshold to movement and proprioceptive information, and a low threshold to auditory and olfactory information.

Any information or resources you could provide on this would be much appreciated. Very Happy

Thank yoU!
Tina Champagne
Site Admin

PostPosted    Post subject Reply with quoteFind all posts by Tina Champagne

While I have read conflicting reports in the literature but I always go on the side of caution. With some one with a history like this there should be known things that trigger seizures already. In addition, often different literature states that flashing lights, very bright lights, strong scents and things you know this person is sensitive to are things that you may want to just avoid. I cannot give therapeutic recommendations on a web site - but this is just what I have seen and heard in general.

You could also consult with this person's neurologist to get their recommendations.

There are plenty of other options of things to use or do under the sensory umbrella that it is best to be on the safe side.

Sorry I can give you more specific recommendations - but for liability reasons I cannot say much more than this on the subject.

Happy New Year!
Tina
   OT-Innovations Forum Index » General Discussion Page 1 of 1

Jump to: