OT-Innovations.com Main Page
Assessment materials

OT-Innovations Forum Index » Forum Questions/Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anne

PostPosted    Post subject Reply with quoteFind all posts by Anonymous

We use the Kohlman Eval. of Living Skills on our unit. Does anyone have another assessment that works for them? We see alot of geriatric people who have been living alone and are now failing for different reasons. Thanks, Anne
Mary Jo

I work in geriatric mental health. I am frequently called upon to perform functional assessments in order to determine ability to return home, and to provide information about the individual's ability to manage their finances, knowledge of health and safety, etc. I use the Independent Living Scales (ILS - Patricia Loeb) quite frequently. It looks generally at the same areas as the KELS, but in a much more rigorous fashion. It is a good blend of the client;s knowledge of concepts, as well as their practical skill abilities.

Sounds good. I am afraid I am not familiar with it. Do you know how I can obtain it?
WayneGossman
Forum Newbie

PostPosted    Post subject Reply with quoteFind all posts by WayneGossman

Is there any way to get more information about this scale? get a look at it, understand what the scores mean?
jacquinettleton
Forum Newbie

PostPosted    Post subject Reply with quoteFind all posts by jacquinettleton

I know some people who use the DACSA and like that. It allows self report and then practical assessment of indicated areas. Lengthy - but comprehensive.

I have to say that I find that I take more of a cross-sectional approach. I find that comprehensive assessment of cognitive processing skills, motor skills, communication and interaction skills, motivation and sense of capacity, routine & roles and an analysis of the environment and social supports and networks in consultation with the person I am working with will give me a pretty clear picture of their strengths and weaknesses and quality of performance in ADLs. That's not to say that I don't pick out strategic tasks for observation, I simply prioritise and often negotiate these as areas observed to assess cognitive processing and motor performance using AMPS, MOHOST or the PRPP.

Alternatively, at times (increasingly rarely) I use an ACLS and RTI with clients who are lower functioning. With clear explanation carers will also usually complete a RTI questionnaire (particularly the tick-a-box format that is on-line). If the person has no carer and has been in hospital for some time and had only nursing staff as carers, I have a brief questionnaire that I have modified from a combination of ideas from RTI and a second assessment tool that is designed to be completed by a nurse/enrolled nurse who has tended to the persons ADL needs regularly at opportune moments during the course of a shift. It is designed to take no more than 30mins in total - often less and to be completed in terms of what the person usually does NOT what they think they are capable of. This was quite helpful for people who were very low functioning and who had been in hospital for a long time, perhaps with multiple issues and no carer to give report of usual habits because people tend to 'pull their socks up' a little when they know they are being assessed, so the OT sees a different set of behaviours on assessment.
   OT-Innovations Forum Index » Forum Questions/Problems Page 1 of 1

Jump to: